- This event has passed.
We are looking for new Board Members
October 4 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
We are looking for new board members to join Finlandia Foundation Board of Directors for a 2-year term!
Finlandia Foundation’s mission is to keep Finnish Americans connected to their Finnishness and to each other and to inform the larger American community about Finland, its culture, its history, and traditions. We also want to shine a light on what Finland contributes to the world today through its contemporary culture, its innovations in business, education, and technology. And, we want to enable our members to get together, socialize, network, speak the language, and have fun!
In general, the Board will support the work of Finlandia Foundation and Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance, and oversight
- Serving as an adviser to the board and Co-Presidents as they develop and implement Finlandia Foundation strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes created by Finlandia Foundation for evaluating its impact, performance, and effectiveness, reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board meetings
- Approving Finlandia Foundation annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all responsibilities
- Assisting the Co-Presidents and board members in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with the Co-Presidents and other board members to ensure that board resolutions and commitments are carried out
- Taking on special assignments and working on different roles in events
- Representing Finlandia Foundation to any stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the foundation
- Ensuring Finlandia Foundation’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the community it serves
- Being part of the Finlandia Foundation events, as well as implementing new events to further our mission and goals in the Bay Area
We are on the lookout for specialist Board members with responsibilities in the following areas:
- Board Secretary (remote or Bay Area)
- Oversee the outputs from Board meetings by recording, reviewing, and distributing meeting minutes in an orderly fashion.
- Understand the Foundation’s policies and procedures and ensure they are adhered to in meetings to maintain transparency and compliance.
- Maintain organizational records including all contact information and official documentation.
- Social Media Coordinator (remote or Bay Area)
- Maintain the Foundation’s social media channels including Facebook, LinkedIn, and other potential new channels.
- Source and create content and distribute it to our channels.
- Respond to and facilitate conversations around the Foundation’s priorities on social media.
- Volunteer Coordinator (Bay Area only)
- Oversee volunteer engagement across our events, both online and offline.
- Recruit and train volunteers for our events and other initiatives.
- Support volunteers on an ongoing basis to continue their engagement with the Foundation.
Finlandia Foundation Board Members will serve a two-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. Board meetings will be held quarterly, and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings.
This position requires anywhere between 2-10 hours of work on a monthly basis.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for individuals who are passionate about Finlandia Foundation’s mission, Finnish culture in general, and advancing the Foundation’s goals and operations for the Bay Area Finnish Community. Selected Board Members will have familiarity in areas of Executive Board Member positions, such as business, leadership, accounting, fundraising, events, and social media.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications depending on the role:
- Professional experience in governance, social media, volunteer coordination, philanthropy, event management, fundraising, or the nonprofit sector.
- A commitment to and understanding of Finlandia Foundation’s goals and operations.
- Diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and building consensus among diverse individuals.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the operations and goals of the Foundation.
Service on Finlandia Foundation’s Board of Directors is volunteer-based and holds no compensation.
Please send all inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finlandia Foundation San Francisco Bay Area Chapter Board of Directors